I find the best way to pursue what you want is, simply to start. I know just as much as anyone that it’s way too easy to make excuses and let fear get a hold of you. But once you take that all-important first step, the ball starts rolling.
In continuance from my first blog post The Fear of Pursuing Your Dreams, here are 8 tips that I personally apply to get over the challenge of starting anything:
1) Get rid of distractions – When Aurelius and I got engaged almost five years ago, we moved in together and chose not to have a T.V. in our room or home. I know my weaknesses—I could easily be a couch potato if I had a T.V easily accessible. So whatever distractions you may have, eliminate it, especially if you have no self control.
2) Dedicate 1 to 2 hours everyday to move forward – If you don’t have enough time, watch less television, be selective to social events, cut down on social media usage, wake up an hour earlier, or if you’re not always a morning person (like me), dedicate some time before you go to bed. There’s always time to be made and be productive, you just have to prioritise to make time for what’s important to you.
3) Set goals – Set goals for each day, week, month and year. Constantly look back and revise to see if you’re on track and if you need to alter your goals so that you are constantly moving towards your end goal. Make your goals specific, this has helped me get clearer and closer to reaching my goals. For example, we want to blog regularly on eBusiness Lifestyle, be specific like: We want to create content for the blog at least once a week.
While you’re at it, set some unrealistic, far-fetched goals and dreams, too. It’s amazing the way the universe works—if you focus and take action on it, if there’s progress, you’re moving forward and you’ll eventually get there.
4) Always ask questions – Questions help overcome obstacles. Some questions I normally ask myself which motivates and gets me started: Is it a long-term goal? Will it make me happy? What’s my purpose? How is it going to affect me and surrounding in a positive way? Your questions to get you going may be different.
5) Don’t compare your journey with others – This is something I have to remind myself, all the time. We’re always our worst enemy when comparing, it really gets the better of us and makes us lose sight of why we started in the first place. Stay true to who you are and your vision to get the end results you want. You have your own journey and challenges that you’ll go through and that will create your own personal story.
6) Avoid negativity – You’ll come across challenges with people who won’t believe in what you do, judge, question, doubt and point out the flaws. It’s a constant battle I go through. It’s sad and disappointing but don’t let it deter you. No doubt, take in constructive criticism where appropriate but block out the negativity and focus on what you need to do for yourself.
7) Take a chance – What have you got to lose? Are you willing to sacrifice time? Finance? Lifestyle?
When I was running my wedding business, I missed out on a lot of weekend social events, birthdays and weddings. But those were the sacrifices I knew I had to make to run a business in the wedding industry which requires dedication to weekend work.
Earlier this year when I decided to live abroad, I sacrificed finances to set myself up a little and give myself a bit of buffer. I cut down on shopping and spending considerably and made do with what I already have.
A lot of people say they really want to start a business or want to do something, but rarely want to give up the luxury aspect of their lives to take that leap.
If you aren’t at least give it a chance, then you’ll never know what lies ahead.
8) Surround yourself with positive, supportive people – I can’t stress this enough. Aurelius is definitely my greatest supporter. He constantly makes me want to do better and grow. I always learn something new and see a different perspective when I surround myself with like-minded and positive people.
I hope this has enlightened and given you a little push to start whatever that is you want to pursue.
Also, here’s an eBook by Aurelius which he’s been wanting to share with you all. Aurelius shares 20 more tips and lessons about getting started and working smarter. It’s free to download. Enjoy!